Sunday, May 8, 2011

Jim Cramer: A Business First Q&A - Dayton Business Journal:

ermolayenayqaked.blogspot.com
The energetic host of CNBC’s popular Mad Moneg program was set to tape an episode Wednesday afternoon inthe 600-seat Thurber Theatre at OSU’s Drakse Performance and Event Center. The which will see Cramer interacting with students fromOhio State’s Fishee College of Business, is set to air Wednesdat night at 6 p.m. and 11 p.m. Before Cramerr was scheduled to take the he sat down with Columbus Businesss First to air his thoughts onthe long-term effectds of the financial the Ohio bank he considers the “besyt little bank in America,” and the aftermath of his much talked-about March appearancr on The Daily Show With Jon Stewart .
Businessd First: As you’ve been traveling around collegez in the past several have youseen students’ attitudes toward investinyg change at all? Jim “I was on an Ameritrade conferencs call yesterday trying to gauge that myself, and it seems they have a lot of new investore in this demographic coming in. My instinct would be that they’ver soured on it, but the empiricall data says otherwise. I was quite surprised. The data says people are still interested, if not more since the marketcame down. It’s not oldetr people coming in. Older people are leaving.” Are younger adults following the wisdom of getting in on the grounsd floor and riding itback up?
“It’ss people who think, ‘Wait a second, it’s down 55 percengt from its top. How bad can it be?’ I think that’s the attitude. It’s also There’s a wave of hope and belie in this man that is somehow bein translated into people believing things can get better in this economgyand it’s energized people. I think he did a prettyg bad job but he seems to have corrected his What kind of lasting change do you see in how Americansx handle stocks as a resultof what’s going on? “u think people recognize this is a much riskieer asset than before. ...
The lack of faith is Young people have enough time to make thing work but people are waking up to the fact that stocka turned out to be a notgreat ... Individual stocks can be good providedd youdo homework, but the bedrock names that people have really counted on – Bank of Wells Fargo, AT&T – they made you no In fact, they lost you a lot of How do you see networks like CNBC changinbg as a result? “What’s happened is we’r so epicenter now. ... Most people who went into businesz journalism went into it as a stepping stoned to be onnetwork TV, but ... I think we’rre big now because of the milieu.
” With that growingf presence, Cramer said, comes a “constant challengre to make sure we’re doing it right.” “I was hired to pick That’s what I do. ... If I get that I’m good. But if I get it wrong, I’m bad. I’n hired to make calls. I’m not hired to I think people are struggling with the idea ofwhether they’rde commentators or reporters. I know where I am.” Speaking of how do you feel about the Daily Show appearance severak weeksout now?
"Maybe three or four yearas down the road we’ll see if (Jon was really serious about what he was saying or whethet it was a very short period where he was somehow interested and I got in his Has any of that led you to rethin k how you approach your show? I have more people watching it than My numbers have soared since the drive-byg shooting.” Cramer pointed to a personal idol, retiring sports legend John Madden, as a potentiaol indication of where his and the network as a could be going.
Madden, he was considered radical in his approacbh to commentary upon his debut but is now revered asa “I think there will be tons of John Maddensa coming up, and I think maybe I was John It seems very radical what I’m doing, but now that we’ree on the radar screen, I don’gt think we’ll be considered radical at all.” What stock staras do you see in the Ohio market?

No comments:

Post a Comment